Saturday, January 9, 2010

A drive through the town

"Sorry, but we only exchange the 2000 series"

 I needed to get money changed and a sim card this morning. One of the students, a graduate student named Josiah, who picked me up from the airport, drove me around to get those things. I arrived after midnight last night/this morning, so I did not see much. As we drove, the street shops and the sidewalk-less roads reminded me of  the simple life in Nigeria I have long since abandoned. 

We went to the Mlimani City mall to exchange a $100 into Tanzanian shillings (Tzs). To prevent car-theft, the security guard at the gate gives you a card that you must prevent in order to leave the mall parking lot; it does not always work but it is innovative. At the money exchange place, I took out a $100 for exchange and a cashier rejected it. Apparently, it was a 1996 series and was not what they want. Strange. Good thing Josiah had told me to take all my money with me, so I just searched and found a 2001 series and I now had my first ever Tanzanian shillings. I was so excited by my big stack of cash, I didn't bother to even count. What's Swahili for high-roller?

No comments:

Post a Comment