Saturday, January 16, 2010

Day 7: Niaje Kenya

"If a Kenyan tells you s/he's coming in x minutes, double it"


As I was saying Asante to Tanzania, it was time to say Niaje to Kenya. The purpose of my visit to Kenya was to talk with the professor who evaluates the program for the Carnegie Foundation. The foundation funds many aspects of the iLabs program - research assistantship for Master's students at MIT, travel, equipment, etc. Besides the discussion, he took me on a tour of the city's CBD and the University of Nairobi. Two words to describe that tour: absolutely astounding. In terms of grandeur, I thought I was in New York City. Nairobi is the first major African city I have ever toured and I only hope the others are like that.

What did I love so much? The layout, the streets, the small businesses, the markets, the local chains, the fashion, the food and of course the beautiful people. Obviously, not all aspects of the city and the country will reflect what I say, but the Kenyans should take pride at this majestic and well-functioning city they have produced.

Then later that night, I met up with Ciku (a MIT '09 Alum), her sister and Mugisha (MIT senior). Along with a friend of Ciku's friend, we went out and partied like only Nairobians could.

Nairobi. What a truly wonder city!

No comments:

Post a Comment