Monday, January 18, 2010

Day 8: Negotiation for Souvenirs

"I came, I saw, I bought"

Of the many things I am good at, bargaining is not one of them. Herman (MIT '10) took me to the Maasai market to look around and buy souvenirs. I let Herman take charge of the bargaining - well, he is a local. And as I found out, he has good negotiating skills. But he also has a conscience. He gave one of our vendors an extra 50 Kenya Shillings (Ksh) after we had paid Ksh. 500 for three sets of matching bracelets and necklaces.

At the end of the day, I had bought one set of matching bracelets & earnings and one set of matching bracelets & necklaces for each of my sisters. I did not come away empty-handed though. I got a free bracelet as a bonus from one of our vendors. Extra cash and bonuses! These Kenyans are so generous. Definitely a good day of shopping in a wonderful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment